Thursday, August 8, 2013

New Year's Goals

New Year's Resolution

      A New Year's resolution is a set of goals set by people. These are goals that they want to me.. Every person has a different set of goals which they want to achieve. This year, I have three specific objectives, that hopefully by the end of the year I will have reached.

     My first goal is to finally get my diving license this year. I've wanted to get my diving license for a few years now, but have always procrastinated. I'm interested in getting deep under water to get a better view of marine wildlife such as different species of fish, sea turtles, jellyfish, and stingrays. There will also be colorful and beautiful coral to see as well. I plan on getting my diving license before I turn seventeen years old. I snorkel, I swim, I go fishing, and do a variety of watersports. I've always been interested in swimming in the ocean, and fishing, and going to the beach, but it's not enough. I want to see more.

     My Second Goal is to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a form of martial art, a combat system, and self defense focused mainly on grappling on the floor. The concept of jiu-jitsu is that a smaller and weaker opponent can defend against a much bigger, stronger opponent using techniques such as joint-locks, choke-holds, and traps. I was introduced to the art of jiu-jitsu by my brother and a few friends. Classes are interesting and useful moves and techniques are taught. I want to learn jiu-jitsu because it is more about technique and speed and precision, rather than just pure strength and size. I want to be a blue belt by the end of this school year. The belt ranking systems is goes like this, starting from lowest : White, blue, purple, brown, black, coral, white-red, and then red. The red belt is extremely hard to obtain, and wearers are often called grandmasters. This ranking is so hard to obtain that if a practitioner receives their black belt at age 19, the earliest they could possibly achieve the red belt is the age of 67. I'll achieve my goal of getting blue belt by training whenever I get the chance to visit a neighboring island Guam. I will train at the United Alliance gym and focus on training for new positions and techniques rather than for competing in competitions.

       My third goal is going to be in first priority at the moment and will definitely be the hardest of my three goals. I will try to achieve at least a 4 on this year's advanced placement exams. AP courses are basically college level courses for high school students.The final exames for they are in May. I am taking two AP courses this year, which are Stats and English. I'm thinking AP English will be easier for me to get a 4 or a 5 because I'm a native English speaker, but I know both will be hard. I've taken an AP course as a sophomore last year, but I wasn't able to get my 4. Last year was my first AP course and I didn't really know what to expect, but this year, now that I know what AP courses are like and have more experience, I should be able to work harder and get at least a 4.
                                                         
The nature of man is to resist change, and ofcourse there is laziness. The goals I have set for myself won't be easy but they are goals. If there is nothing to work towards, then one won't be making progress.
                                                                                           



                                    “What keeps me going is goals.” ― Muhammad Ali




No comments:

Post a Comment